Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Over-the-Door Scarf Display and Storage

I admit it: I'm addicted to scarves.  I even have a self-imposed limit of 2 new scarves per year.  And come November, I had already hit my limit for the upcoming Winter season.  The problem with a scarf addiction?  Storing and getting access to the scarves.  I had stored them in boxes, in pull-out drawers, and on the rings that they came with over a hanger, but every method resulted in me only wearing one or two scarves since they were the easiest to get at.  Not to mention, I wasn't very good at putting them away.  Meet my scarf collection:


Aren't they pretty? My newest additions are the snow leopard at the bottom of the picture (Target) and the tan scarf with purple and beige stripes in the bottom right (Banana Republic Factory Outlet).  Love them.

So I got to brainstorming about how to better display/store my scarf collection and decided to use this:


My over the door hook storage that I have had since undergrad.  I've used it for towels in the bathroom, purses in my closet, and hanging clothes to dry.  To say it's been versatile is an understatement.

So I grouped like scarves together (similar colors) and hung them up on the back of our entry closet door with anywhere from 2 to 5 scarves per hook.  Voila!  Easy access and storage!


So easy to do and once again I used what I already had! No more digging through boxes or wrangling several scarves to find the one I want.  I've worn several of my scarves already this year (despite the fact that it has been in the 40's - 60's for temps in November.  I'm NOT complaining!).  It's also much easier to put them away at the end of the day!


Looks like I might have some more space even for another scarf or two! Must restrain myself.

Do you have something in your house that you have used for multiple purposes over the years?  

1 comment:

  1. What a fab idea! I have my scarfs on a rack that's meant to hold multiple pairs of jeans. It works okay.. but I'm looking for a better system. I have WAY too many scarves!

    ReplyDelete