Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Quick Tips: Vinegar and Laundry


 Adding Vinegar to the Wash  Cycle
It may seem counterintuitive, but adding a splash of vinegar to your wash cycle can remove the "oops I forgot I was doing laundry" smell from those clothes that sat too long in the washing machine.  

I have been guilty of this a few times, and tried the vinegar method after seeing it on Pinterest.  I literally added between 1/4 and 1/3 cup of vinegar (I eyeballed it) to my wash cycle in addition to my normal laundry detergent. I can attest - the clothes come out smelling CLEAN!  Absolutely no smell of mildew OR vinegar!




Adding Vinegar to the Rinse Cycle
Also saw this on Pinterest - adding a splash of vinegar into the little corner pocket, also known as the chlorine bleach dispenser. I almost NEVER use regular bleach (Clorox 2 fan) so the dispenser otherwise sits collecting dust in the corner.  I add the vinegar on top of my usual laundry detergent and eyeball the amount again (usually until the little compartment is "full").  Adding vinegar to my rinse cycle definitely makes my towels whiter, lighter, and fluffier, and as a bonus, keeps the chlorine dispenser clean!
*Disclaimer: My towels are all white, so I haven't tried this with colored laundry/towels.



50/50 Vinegar/Water Spray Bottle
I keep a 50/50 mixture of vinegar and water on the shelf above my washer.  I don't know about you, but my washer and dryer are havens for dust, lint, and rogue detergent splattering. With the spray bottle above the washer/dryer, I can spray and wipe down the surface easily with a cleaner that I'm not concerned about running off into my laundry and potentially ruining my clothes. 

I have also found the ability to adjust the spray "force" to be an added benefit, especially with getting into those nooks and crannies that dust/lint tends to accumulate in around the washer door.  Any extra vinegar/water mixture drains into the washer as I'm getting the next round of laundry going.  



Adding the Measuring Cup to the Washer 
I discovered this gem on accident after my measuring cup fell in the washer and went for a spin cycle, but I found that dumping the detergent AND the plastic cup into the washing machine eliminates the detergent "rings" on the washer top and keeps residual detergent from building up inside the measuring cup.  
Win win!


  Something about a clean laundry area makes me feel like my laundry is getting EXTRA clean! I keep finding more and more uses for vinegar in my home.  

Any additional vinegar tips or tricks you use?


No comments:

Post a Comment